Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Reina de la Paz

Carolyn helping Andrea make a valentine.
Emily and a sweetie who is starting to warm-up to us.
Eric and Elijah palying peek-a-boo with Gabby's baby.


One of my favorite activities!


Maggie and Marsella, a German girl who is volunteering, watching babies.




The girls are so creative and spent about an hour working on valentines.
February 9
From Sue
Our pastor at Sunrise, Pastor Bob, says that there are 3 things in which we should invest:God, God's word and people. Maybe that's why Sunday, Monday and Tuesday have turned out to be my favorite days of the week in Peru. On Sunday we get to worship God, on Monday (at BSF) I get to study God's word and on Tuesday we are privileged to work with Giuli at Reina de la Paz. I am getting to know some of the women at BSF and my discussion leader has called several times to check in, especially when she knew that Eric was out of town and that I had 5 kids with me.
I so respect those women who study the Bible in English when it is their second language. Just about every week there is a question that I don't understand and English is my first (and only) language. My driver, Raul, and I have great discussions on the way and he is persisting in giving me Spanish lessons. He gives me a new verse every week to learn in Spanish. This week it is John 11:35, Jesus wept. Whew! Raul is a very humble man who loves the Lord with all of his heart. It is not a coincidence that I get spend so much time with him on Monday nights. His favorite Christian singer is Michael W. Smith and his favorite book the "Purpose Driven Life." I am going to loan him my copy of the "The Cross-Centered Life" by CJ Mahaney, next week.
This morning we all went to Reina de la Paz again. Last week we had planted seeds and talked about investing in their children. This week when we checked on the seeds, only one had grown. Gabby's seed was beginning to sprout and we discussed how it did because she took care of it everyday and invested in the care of the plant. We also talked about the 5 love languages and how their children need all of the five, but that when they are older, one will be their primary love language. Because so many of the girls said their love languages were physical touch and words of affirmation, we talked about how the words have to be followed by actions which reflect the words. We talked about others respecting them and about respecting themselves. We had brought paper and stickers and markers to make valentines and some of the girls wrote the love languages on the valentines. Andrea had our family sign her valentine. These girls are so sweet and creative and just longing to be affirmed. Giuli told me that she can see a difference in the girls since we started working with them. God is so good to use us in this way!
When we got home there was a package waiting for us from the Spykmans filled with Valentine's Day goodies! The kids were very excited to see the socks, candy and other treats. We are so thankful for all of the prayers and support we receive from our family and friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment