Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday

February 10
From Sue
I know many of you are dealing with A LOT of snow! We keep saying that it is one of things we do not miss. Eric, Emily and Maggie traveled to Huaraz last night arriving safely early this morning. They were feeling a bit queasy as Eric said that it was like being on a plane with 8 hours of turbulance.
I almost assaulted another taxi driver today:) Not really but he was irritating me big time. He did not know where we live so I told him Tripoli. He kept asking where and I kept saying Tripoli. Well he had me write it down and then he says Oh, Tripoli. I said to Carolyn, that's what I said. Then he would go past a street and ask me if I remember where I live. He kept saying, "In Spanish, is Tripoli." Just because I don't speak Spanish does not mean I am stupid. I got to thinking of how harshly I often judge folks who live in the US and don't speak English well. It is easy to say they should learn English but much harder to do. Ask Eric. He is taking private classes and still feels like he doesn't know much. And then when we get home, we just want to speak English because we are exhausted from trying to understand Spanish. I am going to have much more compassion for those who are learning English and not assume that they aren't smart because they don't speak my language.

No comments:

Post a Comment